This service is aimed at minimizing the impact of family violence on a child. It offers a place where children can meet and realize that they are not alone and that they are not responsible for the violence that they have witnessed. Children's groups are offered simultaneously with mothers' groups for a period of 90 minutes per meeting and last from 10 to 12 weeks.
- Learn to protect themselves during violent situations; establish a safety plan
- Education about violence against women
- Sharing information and resources for mothers
- Assistance with transportation and childcare
Children 4 to 16 years of age who witnessed family violence at home. The children must have a certain degree of stability in their lives with respect to basic needs.
Referrals to the service may come from the parent or legal guardian or the following professional agencies:
- Ontario Provincial Police;
- Victim/Witness Assistance Program (VWAP)
- Jeanne Sauvé Family Services;
- Community agencies.