This service is offered by Nurse Case Managers and includes management and/or review of the medical services needed by active clients affected by a severe and persistent psychiatric illness.
This service allows clients to benefit from regular follow-up and offers a link to a variety of health professionals to ensure maintenance of their health, and to prevent the deterioration of psychiatric and physical health. If a nurse/case manager is unavailable, Supportive Independent Living counsellors will provide the same service.
- Verify that clients have access to the medical services to which they are entitled
- Offer a home-based medication management and administration service for individuals affected by a severe psychiatric illness, or an office-based service for those who are not able to manage their own medication (ex. suicidal, psychotic, delusional or manic)
- A follow-up and physical health care service for clients affected by long-term psychiatric illness (ex: foot care, follow-up with diabetic clients)
- Ensure that medical files are kept up to date for all clients, such as medication, regular blood work, medical examinations, eye exams, etc.
- Provide accompaniment and client transportation to the pharmacist, physician, hospital, etc.
- Active client of the agency, affected by a severe and persistent psychiatric illness
- Difficulty managing medication
- Client unable to obtain home-based services from a pharmacy, practicing physician and/or nurse practitioner
- Client and circumstances do not pose a physical threat to the nurse/case manager
Referrals to the service may come directly from the client, family members, internal psychiatric consultants or counsellors, physicians, pharmacists or any other community agency.